Lemon Poppy Seed Protein Squares Recipe
Need a healthy post-workout snack that satisfies your sweet tooth at the same time? These Lemon Poppy Seed Protein Squares will do the trick! The lemon zest gives them a zingy, refreshing lemon flavour, while the yogurt packs them with extra protein and creates a dense, cheesecake-like texture. Enjoy!
3/4 cup oat flour (made by pulsing about 1 cup of oats in your food processor until they form a flour)
3/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder (3 average-sized scoops)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp poppy seeds
1 packet stevia, or 1 tbsp Krisda baking blend or other cup-for-cup stevia baking blend (note: if your protein powder is already slightly sweetened with a clean sweetener like stevia, you could leave this out)
1/2 cup egg whites
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp plain fat-free yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp + 2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9×9″ baking dish with oil or cooking spray.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in one bowl and all remaining ingredients in another.
3. Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the dry bowl and stir until smooth.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes, at which point the outsides should be golden in colour.
5. Remove the baking dish from the oven and allow it to cool completely before attempting to flip the squares out. Do not try to cut them when they’re warm!
6. Cut into 16 squares. Chilling these in the fridge for about an hour will make the squares more cheesecake-like.
7. Store in the fridge for about 1 1/2 weeks in a sealed container. If you won’t be eating them all in about 10 days, wrap each square individually and store in the freezer.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 40-45 mins
Makes 16 bars
angela_simpsonAngela is an avid runner, fitness instructor, foodie, healthy living blogger, and owner of her business, Spin 360 Health Coaching. Having been overweight, unhappy and insecure as a teenager, Angela took control, changed her unhealthy habits, and adopted a clean eating lifestyle that she continues to maintain today. Her goal is to support, inspire, and motivate others to improve their health and be their best.
You can learn more about Angela on her blog, Eat Spin Run Repeat.
Keep up-to-date- on what Angela is up to through social media::